Half-way between our house and the State Capitol building, just off the bike path, nest the Dreamkeepers, two massive iron birds and a gaggle of their chicks. I used to be terrified of these sculptures, particularly on dark, moonless nights when I scurried by these sentinels with the car windows securely closed, until I learned that they were created with the intent to protect sleepers from restless dreams. As an incurable insomniac, I've found some solace from these creatures that protect and, admittedly, at times, terrify.
K & I rode past the Dreamkeepers on Saturday when we biked to the farmer's market. We locked our bikes and then joined the throngs of thousands who made their way to the Square on this Memorial Day weekend. We often get frustrated with the crowds, the slow strollers and the red wagons that run over our toes, but we found our patience this weekend and moved with the flow. We ate a leisurely breakfast, ran into friends and made a list of herbs that we want to plant in our garden later in June. It was a great morning and was a fitting way to ring in the season.
No comments:
Post a Comment